We would like to formally invite you to be a part of the Hanalei Initiative, a collective group of caring citizens working for the betterment of Hanalei and the North Shore.
Formed to identify and solve the immediate and long-term community and environmental needs of Hanalei and Kauai’s North Shore, we operate under the premise of Community Led, Government Supported. We recognize the importance of community engagement combined with strong governmental relationships and will work together to seek solutions, strategize implementation, and follow our projects through to completion.
Our three main areas of focus are as follows:
● Water quality - Our current wastewater standards in Hanalei are not what they should be, resulting in detrimental impacts on our beautiful rivers, streams and bay. We understand the current challenges and are actively pursuing tangible solutions.
● Transportation - When Hanalei was initially developed, it clearly was not designed for the daily 5,000 cars currently visiting our town and beaches. We need to build safe walking/bike paths, re-design roads, and implement efficient shuttle services.
● Maintenance and Beautification - We are creating a systematic approach to managing the overall maintenance of our open community spaces which are currently in serious neglect. We are also in the process of developing Hanalei’s first public playground in over 30 years.
Never before have we been so hopeful about the possibilities we have in front of us. Many key factors have come together to bring us to this point and we believe that the success of our efforts will be based on following three principles:
1. Strong Community Support- Every goal we have comes from listening to the long time residents of the North shore and identifying challenges we all share. We try to approach everything with respect to the land and the people of this place. We want every project to be lead by the community and invite you to contact us anytime.
2. Governmental Relationships- The upcoming political landscape is looking friendlier to Hanalei than we have seen in a long time. There is the potential for 8 years of County Council members and Mayor’s office who recognize our challenges and are committed to seeking solutions.
3. Working Capital- In the last 10 to 15 years, we have been fortunate to have some of the brightest minds in the world come to reside in Hanalei. Many have already been engaged and have expressed their financial commitment to these projects.
If you feel inspired to support this beautiful town of Hanalei that we call home, we encourage you to join us. Support can be offered through a variety of tax-deductible donations
Thank you in advance for your support. Should you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out via email, text, or phone.
Joel Guy, Executive Director The Hanalei Initiative 808.635.2074 email@example.com